Now I have gone 14 days without grains as I continue my grain free diet experiment. Can’t say I really notice any big differences this week over last. My weight has stabilized, not losing anymore (dropped about 4 pounds which is a lot for me – normally about 165). Energy levels still high. If anyone thought I ate a lot of veggies before, I am eating them by the bucket now. Still can’t eat enough to stay full.
My wife has risen to the challenge yet again and made some wonderful grain free meals.
Because many people have asked what I am eating these days, here is what a typical day of meals looks like for me while I am doing this grain free diet experiment.
- 0445 Handful of strawberries, a couple of baby carrots.
- 0700 Handful of mixed nuts, apple
- 0930 broccoli and hummus, celery, cherry tomatoes, protein shake
- 1130 coleslaw and spinach salad, a few olives, leftovers from previous nights dinner (eggplant and mushroom), protein shake
- 1430 spring greens salad, cantaloupe slices, handful of nuts, cherry tomatoes, protein shake
- 1800 tempeh, tomatoe chipotle sauce, black bean dip, blanched kale, protein shake
- 2000 nibble of broccoli and hummus, protein shake.
I read on Dr Mercola’s site that one might not notice any effects from dropping grains for the first 6 months and it could take as long as 12 months to see a difference. Wow. If I go that long I will likely be giving them up for good. If this is true, my 30 day test may be irrelevant, but I will continue just for kicks.