Last week I started my latest clean living experiment (A Vegan Take on the Paleo Diet), going without grains for 30 days. Now after 7 days, I have some observations to share.
1. My meals, especially at work, are simple things like cabbage or spinach salad with oil and balsamic vinegar, hummus and cut veggies (tomatoes, broccoli, celery, cauliflower, green peppers), or a bunch of fresh berries and nuts. The gourmet eats occur at night when my wife does her magic in the kitchen and we had thing like black eyed pea salad, kale salad and some other delicious dishes she covers on her blog >> Pinkvegan.wordpress.com
2. I am burning through my food at a furious pace and I am hungry every hour. When I started this, I didn’t change my portion sizes so I suspect that without grains, I am simply getting less carbs.
3. There are more fluids in my system. I guess since my food has more water content vs grain based food, I need to go to the bathroom more often.
4. I am having serious grain cravings, especially when I make my kids toast – I become Pavlov’s Dog! I sometimes go to take a bite and have to step away to regain control. And I really miss my oatmeal in the am.
5. I am dropping weight. I have lost one or two pounds and I can feel it coming off. Will monitor closely to see if the trend continues. My wife says she has lost weight as well.
6. Energy. No loss still at all time highs in terms of strength and energy levels.