Just listened to the audio version of Gary Vaynerchuk’s book Crush It! I have to admit, when someone first pointed me to Vaynerchuk’s popular live cold call video, I thought he was a bit rough and thought OK, sure he is a confident, fast talker. So what? But I couldn’t deny his ability to build his brand and business online.
So when his book came out I committed to picking up a copy. By the time I got around to it, the audiobook was out so I grabbed that instead. Good thing too, because hearing Gary tell share his ideas and stories must is a million times better than reading about them. Plus he ads some new dialogue in the audiobook (he calls it riffing off the script).
Some highlights from the book:
- the story of how he became an entrepreneur from running lemonade stands as a kid to running his parents liquor store and ultimately, winelibrary.com
- how he built his business brand using the Internet and social media
- why caring about your customers is the absolute most important thing you can do to build your business
- the importance of building personal brand
- follow your passions and build your community before you worry about monetizing your brand
- be yourself
None of this is revolutionary, but Gary’s energy and passion makes all of it very inspiring. I have come around full circle. Highly recommended.